Self storage has become an incredibly popular service across Kansas and Missouri in recent years. It’s valuable not only to homeowners looking to make more space but also to apartment renters, college students, and businesses both large and small. In fact, just about every demographic has a need for self storage units. As a service to all those looking for self storage in the Kansas and Missouri area, we thought we would outline the six essential questions to ask your prospective self storage provider before you rent.
- Do you offer secure self storage units? Security is an important consideration when deciding where to store your valuables. A good self storage provider should invest in security solutions such as perimeter fencing, controlled 24-hour access, good lighting, and facility walk-throughs by trained self storage personnel, to name just a few. If you’re concerned about the security of your belongings, talk with your prospective self storage provider and see if they can put your mind at ease.
- Is there on-site management? Many self storage facilities have a main office with on-site staff and management who can not only help keep an eye on the storage units but can also answer questions that renters might have about their unit, or about any other concerns such as billing or packing supplies. These knowledgeable on-site staff members are a wealth of information that can help make self storage safer, easier, and more efficient.
- Do you offer any discounts or move-in specials? This can help you decide not only which storage facility you’re going to choose but also potentially when you move in. Many self storage facilities offer various discounts and move-in specials at certain times throughout the year or all the time. Common specials include 13 months for the price of 12 as well as discounts of 10% off for former or current military service personnel.
- Do I need to sign a long-term contract? Many self storage providers allow you to either sign a lease or opt for monthly rental, allowing you to rent storage units for as little as one month at a time. Knowing your options will help you decide where to rent.
- What are the available payment options? Similarly, you’ll want to know just how you can pay your bill. Online? In-person? Over the phone? Are autopay options available? Ask your self storage provider what options they offer and choose the ones that best fit your needs and lifestyle.
- Are there any additional fees? Depending on where you go, you could be facing administrative fees, lock-change fees, late-payment fees, security deposits, keycard or fob replacement fees, cleaning fees, early-termination fees, and more. That’s why it’s important to ask your prospective self storage provider about any potential additional fees.
Self storage is popular just about everywhere, so you’ll also want to ask the self storage facility near you about availability of storage units. Just because units are there doesn’t mean they’re vacant, after all. And while you’re at it, you can ask any other questions you might have, including questions about how much space you’ll need and what packing supplies you might want to pick up. Most self storage providers also sell packing and moving supplies on-site.
At Countryside Self-Storage, we take self storage seriously at each of our five premier storage locations in Pittsburg, Joplin, and Frontenac. No matter what you want from your next self storage project, we can help! Contact us today!