The holidays are behind us. The decorations have all come down. You’ve finally thrown out that carton of expired eggnog. And yet we’re looking at many more weeks of winter before spring finally arrives. What do we do until some warmer weather gets here? Need some ideas on what you can do around the house to kick off the new year in the best way possible? Let’s start with decluttering.
Believe it or not, decluttering may be one of the easiest New Year’s resolutions that you can cross off your list, and climate-controlled self storage will help you do it. Did you know that decluttering your living space actually has appreciable health benefits? It isn’t just about your home looking nice or the fact that you’ll be able to find things when you’re searching for them. A clutter-free home actually helps you feel more relaxed, happier, and more in control of your environment. Getting rid of clutter can have positive impacts on both your physical and mental health! Who doesn’t want that?
For many of us, the question is not, “Should I declutter?” It’s, “How do I get started?” Fortunately, we’ve compiled some handy tips from the experts that will help you reduce the clutter in your home or workspace in no time!
- Set a completion date. It can be one week from today or one month from today or whatever feels right for you, but setting a date will help you make good use of your time and give you concrete goals to hit.
- Use the nine-month rule. Experts say that if you haven’t used it in the past nine months, it’s probably not something you need in the house. Sure, there’ll be exceptions, like holiday decorations, but as rules of thumb go, this one’s pretty good.
- Give yourself the gift of time. Decluttering takes time, but it’s also an investment toward more time in the future. Less stuff means less to clean. All of that future free time will be such a great gift to yourself!
- Let go of unfinished projects. If you have any old, half-completed hobby projects lying around, now might be the time to bid them adieu. There’s no shame in giving up that half-finished scrapbook, macrame, still life painting, you name it. It served its purpose.
- Make use of labels. Some of the stuff that goes away as you declutter may go in the trash or be donated to Goodwill. But some of it you might want to see again. It can go into your Missouri storage unit (more on that shortly), but you’ll want to make sure you can find it easily, and labels are a huge help.
- Share your decluttering resolution. Accountability helps all of us stick to our goals, but sharing your resolution may be more helpful even than that. You can probably find a few other hands in the household that would be willing (and maybe even happy) to get involved.
- Have fun! Decluttering doesn’t have to be a chore! It’s liberating to go through your old stuff, and it’s rewarding to clean up, destress, and open up new opportunities for an exciting new year!
We know how great decluttering can be for our efficiency, for our stress levels, and for our overall health and happiness, but all those belongings that are currently cluttering up your living space have to go somewhere, and you might not want to get rid of them forever. Enter climate-controlled self storage in Missouri.
Whether it’s antique furniture that belonged to your grandma or the baby clothes that you think someone else in your family may need someday, climate-controlled self storage gives you a safe, out-of-the-way place to keep anything that you’re not quite ready to part with completely. There’s no reason to pitch something if you’re not ready to let go, but there’s also no need for it to clutter up your living space. With self storage in Missouri, you get the best of both worlds!
At Countryside Self Storage, our knowledgeable storage managers are always available to answer any questions you may have. Give us a call today or feel free to visit any of our Pittsburg, Joplin, or Frontenac locations.