Moving season is here, and it might be busier and more hectic than ever before! Maybe it's something to do with the surging real estate market or the fact that a huge portion of the country is suddenly very ready to "move on." Whatever the reason, moving means having lots to keep track of, remember, and do. If you're planning a move this season, you'll want to find ways to save time and make the move as stress-free as possible. We've scoured the web to gather a list of some of the most common packing and moving mistakes and tips for how to avoid them:
1. Not labeling boxes well. If you've ever moved before, you know that it's going to involve a whole lot of moving boxes. The number-one mistake most folks make is not labeling all those boxes properly. As you can imagine, getting to your destination with a bunch of identical boxes can make unpacking a nightmare, so get those markers out and make sure the boxes are all neatly labeled. Better yet, put together an inventory sheet for each box that you can simply tape to the side.
2. Doing it all at the last minute. Number two from our research just might explain number one. Plenty of people complain that they waited until the last minute to start packing, moving, and even planning, and that makes everything even more stressful. You can start packing and staging stuff for your move in advance while keeping it out of the way with a little help from Missouri storage units.
3. Not having the necessary packing supplies. There's nothing worse than being in the middle of a move and realizing that you don't have enough packing boxes, tape, or other supplies, unless it's realizing that you never got them in the first place. Before you even get started, be sure you stock up on plenty of boxes, packing tape, filler paper, bubble wrap, markers (for writing on the outside of boxes), and anything else you might need.
4. Not packing correctly. While it may seem like we're just repeating ourselves here, number four on our list is almost definitely caused by number three. It's hard to pack things correctly when you don't have the right supplies for the job, and items that aren't packed correctly are more likely to shift or break during the move. To save yourself a lot of headaches and misery, use the right supplies and pack the right way the first time.
5. Not having a packing strategy or plan. It may be number five on the list, but it's probably the most important tip we have: plan ahead. It's not just a matter of planning what's going to go where in the new house; it's a matter of figuring out when you're going to do everything that needs to get done before the move.
While these were the top five packing and moving mistakes that we found in our research online, there were plenty of others, including using the wrong size packing boxes, not packing an essentials kit to take with you on the day of the move, and not getting enough help from friends or family.
We hope this list sparked a few ideas about how to approach your next move in a way that will help take some of the pressure off. If you need packing supplies, moving boxes, or just a storage space to hold all the things that won't fit in the new place, we're here to help. At Countryside Self-Storage, we have all the packing boxes and other moving supplies you need for a successful move, not to mention five premier storage facilities. Come visit or contact us at any of our Pittsburg, Joplin, or Frontenac locations.